Friday, August 9, 2013

Balance

I might begin by apologizing for such a long gap since my last blog.  I've had family issues that have taken a lot of pain, time and energy.   This blog is a reminder to everyone that as important as your career and interesting as the technology is, you need to spend more time with the people you love and doing the things you enjoy. For much of the last 20 years I haven't always done this and I've had a couple of big reminders recently.  One of the things I enjoy is unicycling, and last month I had the opportunity of competing in the North American Unicycle Championships in Pennsylvania.  So much fun, and so many interesting people.  That's me, the big guy on the right in white, early on in the marathon race, where I won my age group.

The local newspaper did a little article on me when I returned to Sydney.

So remember to stop work everyday and do something you enjoy and spend more time with people you love.  The technical challenges will still be there tomorrow.

Next blog, I promise, will be a technical one.  It will be about tuning a query by making a predicate non-sargeable!  Yes, I hear you, that's against all the best practices, but there is a good reason for it in this particular case.


No comments: